I am touched, honored and pleased to have been bestowed with two Liebster Award nods from two delightful fellow bloggers (and Jang Hyuk-loving fangirls), Stuck On Hyuk and Ahjussi Fan. Thank you my dears for this lovely honor.
The blogosphere is an amazing place filled with many amazing people writing about all kinds of amazing things. I am happy to be a resident here along with Stuck on Hyuk and Ahjussi Fan whose blogs are solid places to find a whole lot of Jang Hyuk love and other K and J-loving goodies! On to the Liebster…..
So what is The Liebster exactly? It is an internet-based award so no need to go out and buy that sparkly dress and heels! It originated out of Germany I believe in around 2010. That is what my Liebster research has revealed to me. The word ‘liebster’ means dearest, beloved or favorite in German. That makes getting a nomination all that much sweeter, in my opinion. It is a blog award given out to bloggers by fellow bloggers to encourage blogging (is that too redundant??!) and to introduce blogs to others. There are rules and here they are:
1. Post the award on your blog.
2. Thank the blogger(s) who presented this award and link back to their blog.
3. Write 11 random facts about yourself.
4. Answer 10 questions posted by the presenter and ask your nominees 10 questions.
5. Nominate 10 bloggers who you feel deserve this award and who have less than 200 followers.
Number 1 – check. Number 2 – check. So let me proceed with 11 random facts about myself.
1. I am learning Korean and met my current Korean tutor at a Korean cultural program in Washington, DC in May 2013 where Rain (a sergeant in the ROK Army at the time) performed. She was sitting right behind me. I felt it was destiny that Rain brought us together. But I am weird that way.
2. I am a vegan. I haven’t always been one. I became vegetarian in 1987 and vegan in 1999. I am not militant nor soapboxy about it – I just don’t eat animals. ^.^
3. I just recently started Pure Barre classes. I don’t know how I am able to speak, walk or function following a class. Either I am becoming a complete wimp in my old age or this is just one excruciating and grueling workout.
4. I once served Jean-Claude Van Damme a cup of tea at a cafe in Santa Monica, California.
5. I love kale and eat it every day.
6. I got my first (and only) tattoo last year. In a momentary lapse of fangirl haze, I branded Rain’s name on my left ankle. Yep, I sure did. ^.^
7. I love to read but refuse to read books electronically (i.e. Kindle, Nook, etc.). I am old school and love the feel of holding a book and turning the pages. I own many books and house many of them in an antique bookcase that belonged to my mother as a child. I am sappy and sentimental.
8. I dance in the shower and have had only one complete wipe out. >.< Fortunately, I was not injured nor did my shower have to be reconstructed in the wake of that complete fail.
9. I collect cameras and have a collection of antique cameras I inherited from my grandfather. They all still function and I would love to learn all about the subtleties and nuances of photography in order to use the cameras more often (and properly).
10. When I turned 40 years old I bought a surfboard and learned how to surf. I was living in California at the time and moved from the valley (inland) to the beach so it seemed like the thing to do and a fine way to usher in 40!
11. I am an excellent navigator and map reader. Back in ancient times before the internet I planned all of my travel using paper maps. I always felt the free atlas that came with my very first magazine subscription ever (Time Magazine) was a book of dreams and I read it as an adventure novel that enticed and fed my desire to travel and see the world.
And now the questions from Ahjussi Fan:
1. What is your favorite movie? – from any country
I really have too many to choose only one – but one of my all time faves is Wings of Desire. It is such a beautiful film, poetic with gorgeous B&W cinematography.
2. What is the most wonderful thing that happened in your life.
Reconciling with my father after learning he was dying and being able to have the opportunity for us to both make our peace with each other. Probably one of the best decisions I ever made in my life.
3. What are you doing right now other than answering this question.
Listening to music.
4. If you were given USD 10,000 what will you do with that money? Please don’t save it.
I would donate some of it to a charity and travel with the leftovers!
5. Android or iPhone?
iPhone but thinking of going Galaxy 4S. ^^
6. Do you have someone you want to punch at this current moment?
No….not at all.
7. Express yourself in 3 words
Generous. Stubborn. Impulsive.
8. Express your k-drama crush in 3 words.
Talented. Sexy. Adorkable.
9. What is your favorite korean phrases?
너무 보고 싶었어요. (Neomoo bogoshipeoyo – I miss you so much.)
진짜?! (Jinjja?! – Really?!)
좋아해요 (Johayo – I like it/you)
10. Coffee or tea or milk?
And, from Stuck on Hyuk:
1. If you are going to a desert island, and you can only take 3 k-dramas with you, which will they be and why?
The First Shop of Coffee Prince – A sentimental favorite as it was my first drama. It also is just thoroughly enjoyable with a bright and lively cast, good music and a very hot Gong Yoo. It is one of my all time faves, thus far.
Full House. Rain. That is why. Do I need any other reason?!! ^^
Warrior Baek Dong Soo. I absolutely LOVED this drama. I am a big fan of the sageuk and this one just hit it out of the ballpark for me from the acting, the cinematography, the supporting cast, to the OST – I thought it was spectacular. Then there was the bromance between Dong Soo (played by Ji Chang Wook) and Yeo Woon (played by Yoo Seung Ho). It was both beautiful and agonizing.
Can I also bring Operational Proposal, please?
I want to bring this one because of Yoo Seung Ho (of course) but also as a reminder that in order to effect change in life, you cannot hope to go back to simply change decisions or, ‘do over’ but rather allow for change to come within yourself. I thought this drama was a beautiful commentary on that.
2. You are on the same desert island and you can make only three k-hotties to come spend time with you. Who will they be, and what would each be in charge of? (Who would do the cooking, etc?)
Rain. Oh my Rain….he would definitely be in charge of the food as he is such a foodie himself. Rain would also be my personal body-guard and protectorate from cannibals and island baddies (I watched way too much Lost) because he was a kickass ninja – if you recall, and he got skills!
And, even though he was a complete badass as Raizo, I still believe Rain is a true tender heart and he would probably make sure I was pampered even amid the desolate, far from the comforts of home locale of a deserted island. I know he would make sure I ate and ate well. Yes, I would want Rain on that island with me!
G.O. of MBLAQ. In that I am completely crushing on G.O incessantly at the moment, he would have to be on that island also. This would work out good because G.O and Rain know each other. For one, they could collab and be my entertainment on the island. Gosh…to hear the two of them sing together would be heavenly. Oh, and they would have to dance for me, too.
G.O’s specific duty, however, would be massage therapy. After a hard day of cutting down coconuts and gathering fire wood, I suspect I would be achy and in need of a good massage. G.O has the most incredible hands and I can only imagine the kind of magic they would work. I feel a flail attack about to happen…..!! He would also provide the serene background ambiance music with his sublime vocal abilities while effectuating that massage.
Song Joong Ki. He would have come in his Yeo Rim form from SKKS!! Oh my that cheeky monkey would keep me so entertained. Likewise he would be in charge of sprucing my hut (or cave) up using his wicked decorating skills and discerning eye. He would make everything so very pretty.
And, I would always be able to count on him for a cheeky wink of encouragement when (and if – highly doubtful) I would get homesick. He is, after all: Gu Yong Ha!! ^^ (I LOVED him in this role!!)
3. (DramaFan) am still not familiar with Kpop. What is the one korean singer I must definitely listen to, and which are his/her best songs?
G.O from MBLAQ. Prior to joining MBLAQ, he was part of an R&B trio called TyKeys. And they are THE BOMB!! But all of his work with MBLAQ is stellar and solo work, wonderful. (I am extremely biased and in heavy throes of fangirling over the sexy Jung Byung Hee). EVERYTHING G.O sings is his best song. ^.^ And, Nelly over at MyMyooz can totally back me up on this!! That said, one of my faves right now is a duet he sang with JeA of Brown-Eyed Girls. G.O’s voice is just so…..so….SO GOOD!!
From his TyKeys songbook, Get Down:
I also recommend Kim Junsu of TVXQ and JYJ fame. I love Junsu’s voice as part of each group, and as a solo artist. He is also well adept at handling the theatrical stage. He has a big, beautiful voice that I never tire of listening to. One of my absolute favorite songs of his is off of his second solo album, Incredible. The song is called Rainy Eyes.
4. The next time I go to a korean restaurant, what should I definitely order?
Bibimbap!!! It’s yum!
5. What was your first Kdrama crush?
Very first was Gong Yoo thanks to Coffee Prince. Then I went on a Hyun Bin binge after Worlds Within. Finally, Rain trumped them all. But I will admit to heavy (coming close to unseating Rain) crushing on G.O . And have had minor spazzing over Lee Min Ho, Yoo Seung Ho, Ji Chang Wook, Park Yoochun, and Sung Joon, respectively. G.O is leaving everyone in the dust at present.
6. What is the maximum number of episodes you have watched in a day? (Gumi: My record is 14, it was when I was on a Chuno run:P)
I believe it was 6 – Coffee Prince.
7. Which is the Kdrama cliche you just can’t stand?
The evil controlling mother (birth, step, adopted or otherwise).
8. Which is the Kdrama cliche you actually enjoy?
The piggyback. So far, one of my faves has to be Gong Yoo and Yoon Eun Hye in Coffee Prince. Theirs was just wonderful, sweet and natural.
9. Who is your favorite korean actress?
Is it bad that I don’t focus on the ladies when I watch K-dramas???!! I don’t think I have seen enough to adequately choose a favorite but how about a couple of performances that I really loved.
Shin Min Ah in Arang. Even when she was making the most outrageously stupid decisions I still loved her because she so encompassed that role and just ran with it (literally…the girl ran so much in that drama she tired even me out!!) She was the perfect match for Lee Jun Ki’s Eun Oh and I loved that she was both vulnerable and feisty.
Park Min Young in Sungkyunkwan Scandal. I thought she was perfect for the role and I believed her every step of the way. I loved that her Kim Yoon Hee was whip smart, diligent and courageous. I also LOVED the way Yoochun’s Lee Sun Joon looked at her – even when he thought she was a boy. So swoony. (See how the thoughts invariably go back to the boy??)
10. Tell us your favorite Kdrama OST?
At the moment, it is Warrior Baek Dong Soo. It is just incredibly good.
Ok, so now is the time I nominate some fellow bloggers and unleash my questions. I am going to circle around first and foremost and extend nominations to both of my nominators, Stuck on Hyuk and Ajhussi Fan – come on, being Liebstered is fun!!! My other nominees are:
My Myooz – Nellie is most assuredly my little sister from another mother. I thank the K-gods above for letting our blogging paths cross. She is a prolific blogger which is only matched by her ability to ingest many dramas all at once along with the eumak!!! Nellie loves music and I love that she introduces something to us weekly. If you have a chance to watch a drama simultaneously with Nellie, I recommend it – no matter how melo or intense (we did Warrior Baek Dong Soo and Five Fingers together), there is always room for Nellie’s bright and gregarious humor.
Asia Fixations – Janey’s blog is sublime and I love that she admits to ranting about ‘cute namjas’!!! Janey is also a fellow TVXQ-er and is Changmin-biased which works out good because we all know my guy is Junsu!!
The Things I Do For Love – Angel Mariel is a sister Cloud (i.e. Rain fan) and that is how I came to know her. Her blog is light, airy and carefree much like herself. You just feel her smile through her writing. And, she writes about everything.
The Drama Noona – Unpredictable squees….that says it all for me!!! Jaime and I both share a blog veteran and most accommodating seonsangnim in Kfangurl (The Fangirl Verdict) who has been an ardent cheerleader for us both. I thought I was following Jaime’s blog. but apparently I missed the click!! I am all good now. Definitely a place you can get your squee on! Oh, and I am totally jelly over her headers!
I am good with these six noms so here are the questions:
1. You are the star of your very own noona romance drama. Who is the younger man who will win your heart and how will he do it?
2. Who do you believe is the K-star that can deliver the best and most believable kiss?
3. Which K-pop star who hasn’t crossed over into acting would you like to see in a drama or film?
4. Which character from a drama (or film) would you be ok with introducing to your mother and why?
5. Sageuk – yay or nay?
6. Which K-star (drama or pop) would make you leave the comforts of your home in order to attend a fan meet?
7. Do you have a genre preference (historical, melo, romcom) and if so, which and why?
8. Do you have a drama watching partner? If so, who?
9. Have you ever dissed family or friends to watch K-drama (hehehehe)?
10. Do you have a fave ‘ship? If so, who?